Sachs Harbour

Ikahuk, Place where one crosses over

Named after the ship Mary Sachs, of the Canadian arctic expedition of 1913, the tiny community formed around an RCMP post, established in 1953. Banks Island had been inhabited by Pre-Dorset peoples over 3,500 years ago and Thule Inuit 500 years ago, but remained deserted for several centuries, until modern times.

Today, with a population of about 150, the traditional lifestyle of hunting, trapping and fishing is still very much alive and Sachs Harbour is known as the “Muskox Capital of Canada”. Guided tours to view wildlife, birds and flowers are available. Outfitting for big-game hunts for muskox and polar bears can be arranged with the local Hunters and Trappers Association. Local crafts include the spinning and weaving of qiviut, the silk-like wool of the muskox into fine scarves and sweaters.

For information, contact:
Hamlet of Sachs Harbour
General Delivery, Sachs Harbour, NT  X0E 0Z0
Phone: 867-690-4351 • Fax: 867-690-4802
Email: hamlet_sachs@airware.ca
Web: http://sachsharbour.lgant.ca/

WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien